Monday 14 May 2012

Chartwell Park (PPR Nostalgia Edition)

Access via Charwell Pl or Chartwell Dr.

Chartwell Park is one of the parks that I frequented when I was younger. I hadn't been there in about four years, so going back into this park was like a trip back in time... sort of. A lot of things have changed. So here is another nostalgia edition of proper park rating. As with Cross Creek Park, my camera's battery was drained when I visited it with Nina, so I returned to Chartwell Park with my Dad:


The first change that I noticed is the fence on the way in. There used to be a hedge. You can still see the stumps:


That's pretty much the most inconsequential change there is. I don't suppose anybody who hasn't been to Chartwell Park before would care about this, but I find it important enough to take pictures of. But let's get to the important stuff...

These trees!


The branches used to come all the way down to the ground. It was like a secret clubhouse where I could hide and play. While this provides a place for younger children to play that's easier for parents to supervise them in, it doesn't quite compare in my books. Natural tree forts are the best! The branches will probably grow back, though.

In the western half of Chartwell Park, there used to be some sandboxes. But now, that part of the park looks like this:


The sandboxes have returned to nature. I bet they're still under all the brambles, though. The western half of the park doesn't really exist any more, but that's okay. Hey, check out that view! It's nice.

The rest of the park is mostly grass. It looks like it would be a good place for a picnic, but don't be fooled. The whole area is a bit marshy. It's fine for walking around on, but you wouldn't want to sit on it for any long amount of time. But what it is good for is growing foam grass (not a technical name).


Foam grass is the tall green spikes behind the dandelion fluff. When you peel off the green skin, the inside is filled with foam. It's very delicate, but if you're careful, you can get a whole string of foam.

When I was a kid, there was a big stone wall in the middle of the park. It's still there, but it's looking a little tired.


The missing boulders are now lying in various places on the grass. It's not as tall as I remember it, either. But that's just me growing up.

As a kid, my favorite part of Chartwell Park wasn't technically a part of this park, so I won't go into any detail about that. Stay on the trails, kids! But there is a very impressive ravine to discover if you're feeling rebellious. But seriously, don't do it! I'm pretty sure that I was just roaming around stranger's back yards.

Chartwell Park has a trail running through it, connecting two sections of Chartwell Drive. As beautiful as Chartwell Park is, all it's really good for is passing through. But this could change with a well-placed bench or two.

PPR
Good: foam grass, convenient trail
Bad: marshy ground, no benches, yappy dog in a neighboring yard
5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment