Sunday 13 May 2012

Cross Creek Park (PPR Nostalgia Edition)

At the corner of Cross Creek Rd and Chartwell Dr.

On the day that Nina and I visited Cross Creek Park, my camera ran out of batteries. Since this park is only a block from my Dad's house, I decided to go back with fresh batteries and and three of my favorite boys.

Here's Dad and my brothers Cameron and Graeme at one entrance to the park:


And here they are by the other entrance (this one's fancy enough to have a sign):


Since I grew up so close to these parks, it's impossible for me to review them without pointing out all the changes. So this proper park review is going to be a nostalgic one.

Cross Creek Park is exactly what it sounds like. Here is the creek:
Photo credit to Cameron (age 5 and 3/4)


And here's where you cross it:



While Cross Creek Park may appear nice by it's well-groomed exterior, the inside is very different. There's litter everywhere: everything from cigarette packages to juice boxes. It makes sense, though. The bus stop for the nearby high school is right beside the park. Thank goodness the students have kept their dumb graffiti to the shelter.

It's also very overgrown. When I was a kid, I loved to climb things in this park. There was a tree with some good branches, but now it's a stump covered in weeds. There was also a giant boulder. When Cameron and Graeme saw it, they immediately wanted to climb it.





But they couldn't go all the way up the way I could when I was a kid. Thorny blackberry bushes have grown all over the end of this rock. I used to enjoy sitting on the edge, but it would not be so pleasant today. What this park really needs is some maintenance.

PPR
Good: convenient shortcut across the creek
Bad: litter, overgrown, nowhere to sit
3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment