Sunday 13 May 2012

Douglas Woodward Park

Main entrance at Camelot Rd and Camwell Dr.

Douglas Woodward Park has a special place in my heart. I once lived in the neighborhood, and one of my little brothers is named Douglas. My Mom used to tell us stories about a friendly sasquatch-esque creature named "Buh buh buh" who lived in the trees at this park. Happy mother's day, mom! Those stories were the best.

As soon as I got into the park, I started using the word 'play'. Although I still enjoy parks at my age, the words I'd normally use to describe what Nina and I do in them is more along the lines of 'hang out' or 'chill' (because we are, in fact, dirty teenagers). But Douglas Woodward Park's chaotic terrain and network of trails made it the perfect place for games of predator versus prey and capture the flag that I enjoyed as a younger version of myself. The trees immediately brought back those memories and the desire to 'play'.

In among those trees, Nina found herself her own brontosaurus tree to ride (for more brontosaurus trees, see the Sharon Park post):


We weren't actually there in the middle of the night. My camera just doesn't understand the lovely concept that is light filtered through trees.

During our stay in the park, we spent some time sitting on one of the many bridges, watching the creek. While wearing my flannel shirt, I looked up at a maple tree above the bridge and thought "damn... I am so Canadian". While other people might think of the inside of a hockey arena or a snowy ski hill when they're asked to picture Canada, the image that I come up with is from the inside of Douglas Woodward Park.

One of my favorite things in the park is this:


I'm not sure what it is, but it's a metal tube that's big enough to stand up in. I always imagined that this was where Buh buh buh and his family lived. See if you can find it!

PPR
Good: a lot of trails, trees to climb, tons of space
Bad: no views, easy to trip on roots
7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment