Monday 11 June 2012

Keith Park

The first time I went looking for Keith Park, I didn't find it. I did, however, take this picture:


It was not until after I got myself thoroughly lost in the woods that I realized Keith Park had been right behind me when I took this picture. I felt pretty stupid, but when I returned the next day, I realized why I'd failed to notice the park.


From the road, Keith Park looks like what you see above. That moss at the bottom of the frame is on a concrete border, and beyond that border is a steep drop off. It took a fair amount of creativity and a little bit of climbing to find a way through the thick bushes, but ladies and gentleman, I have been inside Keith Park!


That's a shot of the most friendly part of the park. The ground is unstable throughout the whole place, but at least in this part you can stand up without getting sticks in your hair. It's definitely a beautiful piece of nature, but it's a little too wild to spend any time in. Basically, don't go to Keith Park...

PPR
Good: pretty nature
Bad: it's vacant land, not a park, difficult to reach without trespassing
1/10

 If you're looking for an alternative to Keith Park, let me tell you about where I was while lost on the first day I spent looking for the park. Sahalee Trail!


This trail head is on Meadfield Road, near Caufield shopping center, but the picture I took right across the street from Keith Park is another trail head. There's segments of the trail throughout the area, actually. I know there's more of it to find than I've seen. But the part that I did see is very pleasant.


Sahalee Trail has the same sort of nature as Keith Park with a bonus of having the means of seeing it easily. It's hard to believe that you're in the middle of a residential area when walking this trail. That's not to say that this place is completely devoid of civilization. This trail eventually winds up underneath a train bridge.


You can see one of the bridge's supports in the picture. There's also a bridge for the trail here. I love this spot because it captures my imagination. If I had found this place 10 years ago, I would've spent hours playing pretend games here. I still would if I had that kind of time. Obviously it has captured the imaginations of others as well. The bridge supports are covered in graffiti. There are so many talented graffiti artists in the area. It's unfortunate that they are forced into such secluded spots, but at the same time it's always exciting to find a beautiful piece hidden in the trees.

Yes... I am bad at conclusion. Keith Park sucks. Sahalee Trail is pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment